Monday, May 3, 2010

The background, I suppose

So this is my first blog. I don't know if this is typical of people who create their first blog(s), but I'm not sure exactly what to blog about. Maybe everyone has an idea in mind before creating their blog site and I'm the exception. So I guess I'll just start with my background and we'll see where it goes from there.

I am married to a wonderful woman who really makes my life better. While our personalities differ in some dramatic ways, I think that is what I love most about her. She is one of the most sensitive, creative and loving people that I have ever met. We had been friends for quite a long time, but never dated until college. I would love to say that it has been perfect ever since, but we have had our difficulties (big and small). We have, however, managed to stick it out through the bad times and it has definitely paid dividends. We are closer now than we have ever been and are very much looking forward to the future.

Our biggest issue these days (as I'm sure it is the same for most people), is money. With the uncertainty of job security, it has been a little more stressful than usual. My wife is amazing with organization and has created a spreadsheet dedicated to our finances. I tend to be a little oblivious to our finances, but we're trying to get on the same page and have been going over the spreadsheet together so I can understand where all of our money allocated. We finally made the decision to cut our cable and get rid of the Blackberry's [well, I have...I think the wife keeps making excuses as to why she hasn't canceled hers :) ]. In order to save a little extra, I thought I'd take it upon myself to make my own long-range antenna for our television. My advice...don't. While it only cost around $20 to build, it looks ugly and only gets about 3 more channels than my old-school rabbit ears. Plus, if you live in an apartment, there is really no good place where it can be hidden. So now, instead of saving money, I've spent $20 to find out that I need to spend another $70 (or so) to get all of the over-the-air channels. So I guess the question is: In the future, do you spend a little money and cross your fingers that your little contraption works, or do you suck it up and fork over your wallet to the stores?

Maybe I just want to believe that I'm a little handier than I truly am. I know that there are times that I just need to leave certain things to professionals, but the man-gene gets the best of me a lot of times and I just can't help myself.

A couple of my favorite hobbies, are chip carving and the guitar. Because the apartment doesn't allow me to use some of the power tools required to build things out of my carvings, I'm restricted to just carving for right now. If anyone has had this same dilemma and has figured out how to get around it, please let me know! I've been dying to actually build things like humidors, jewelry boxes and eventually some small furniture to start off with. The guitar is a little easier to manage, but I've gotten to the point where the self-teaching has reached it's plateau. So if anyone has a suggestion about how to advance guitar skills without spend money (on lessons), that too would be great.

I guess I'll end with that. I'm not sure how interested people will actually be in my background, so I don't want to go on forever, but I can add some more later on.....until then....adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment