Thursday, April 28, 2011

Ms. Isla Mae

My wife (Heather) and I went back and forth trying to decide on a name for our little angel. Throughout the pregnancy, I had in the back of my mind that she would either end up as "Ella Lou" or "Louella". We had had countless discussions about how much we both loved the name "Ella". But it seemed that as the closer we got to our due date, the more and more we discovered that "Ella" was quite a popular name. The name seemed to climb the "Most Popular Names" list faster than I can forget what my wife just told me to do. We were just glad, for the moment, that we weren't having a boy, because we had put about 0.003% of our combined brain power into coming up with a boys name. We wanted to give our daughter a unique name, and "Ella" was becoming less and less *unique* with each day that passed. While it was still on our short list, we both started to feel that we needed to find another name (it was sad to let Ella go).



I don't remember the exact day that it occurred, all that I remember is that I thought of the name :) While she is not named after the actress, I had always loved Isla Fisher's name. I liked how it was spelled and how it was pronounced. It wasn't until after Isla was born that my mom (through her genealogy prowess), found that my great great grandfather was from Scotland, and more precisely, from the island off the coast of Scotland, aptly named "Isla". So as much as I'd like to say "yes, 'Isla' is of historical significance to my family and that is how we decided on her name"....nope, it was the actress from "Wedding Crashers". There ya go, sweetie...a great story for the grandchildren. Heather asked me the other day if our daughter looked like an "Isla", and when she was first born, I wasn't sure. Now I couldn't imagine her with any other name. She is our sweet Isla Mae.

                                                                       (such a doll)

No comments:

Post a Comment